Auto accidents happen to roughly six million drivers in the United States each year, with over one-third of these leading to injury or death. When you’ve experienced an injury and you aren’t sure where to turn, there’s one indispensable resource you need: the experienced accident injury lawyers at Sussman & Simcox.
Sussman & Simcox is a Gaithersburg law office with over 40 years of experience and hundreds of cases tried. When you call, our team will go to work for you—fighting for your rights in court to get you the assistance you need.
Car Accidents From Negligence Comes in Many Different Forms
It would be nice if every driver on the road could be focused, experienced, and diligent at all times, but unfortunately, there’s no way to guarantee that all drivers will be careful. In reality, accidents are almost always the product of poor choices and can almost always be prevented.
Each of these forms of negligent driving can support a claim for restitution for your injuries:
- Distracted driving. With the popularity of smartphones and tablets, it’s possible to be connected no matter where you go, and that includes behind the wheel. But that technology brings distraction. Recent statistics show 58% of accidents on Maryland roadways are the product of distracted driving. When drivers are texting, reading emails, or conversing and not paying attention, an accident is highly likely. Listening to music, eating, or tending to children in the car can also create the opportunity for distracted driving accidents.
- Reckless driving. There is no excuse for driving recklessly or carelessly. Every year, countless accidents are caused by drivers going unreasonably fast, tailgating, ignoring traffic regulations, and failing to signal turns or lane changes.
- Drunk or drugged driving. Even though we all know that driving under the influence is incredibly dangerous, there are many accidents each year caused by drunk or drugged drivers who carelessly put others in harm’s way. With the relaxation of marijuana laws in many states, there is a marked increase in people driving under the influence.
- Poor maintenance. You take your body to the doctor when you’re feeling sick, and your car deserves the same. When drivers fail to keep up with repairs and maintenance, many different issues can arise that interfere with driving, like burned-out headlights, broken wipers, worn brakes, or bald tires.
Safety Rules Apply to Types of Transportation
Cars aren’t the only vehicles on the road. Whether you are riding a motorcycle or are in a collision with an 18-wheeler or are a pedestrian struck unexpectedly, safety rules always apply but can vary with the vehicles involved.
Sussman & Simcox handles many types of transportation accident claims, including:
- Commercial truck accidents. Due to the size and scale of trucks, these accidents can be extremely dangerous. Commercial truck accidents can happen for a variety of reasons, including negligence on behalf of the driver, improper driving expectations by a trucking company, and equipment malfunctions.
- Motorcycle and bicycle accidents. Motorcycles and bicycles don’t have doors, hoods, roofs, or safety devices like cars do—making bikers far more vulnerable to injury than typical motorists. If you were a biker injured by an automobile driver’s carelessness, you are entitled to compensation for your injuries.
- Pedestrian accidents. There are more than just cars on the road. If you are walking on a roadway, drivers have an obligation to watch out for you and share the road safely. If you were struck or injured by a vehicle while using the street on foot, we’re here to help you get the best possible result.
Have You Been Injured in a Maryland Car Accident?
If you've been injured in a car accident, you need to speak with an experienced car accident attorney as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call our Gaithersburg office directly at 301.840.0404 to schedule your free consultation.