Lawyers for Teen Driving Accidents
Get Compensation for Injuries Caused by Careless Drivers
Teen driving accidents in Gaithersburg, MD are responsible for the injury and death of numerous individuals. Accidents involving teen drivers occur most often because teens are not only inexperienced on the road but are also more likely to engage in distracting activities while driving. These activities can take the driver’s eyes off the road, leading to an accident. Often, those injured in teen driving accidents are other teens who were passengers. Just as in any other car accident case, the driver in teen accidents can be held liable for the bad driving decisions made and the injury caused. If you or your child was injured in an accident caused by a teen driver, Sussman & Simcox is here to help you ensure you get the compensation you deserve. Contact us today to discuss your case.
Young Distracted Drivers are a Leading Cause of Accidents
Even though adults are guilty of distracted driving, teens are much more prone to attempting to do other things while driving. Coupled with their inexperience, this creates a dangerous situation not only for the teens themselves but also for others on the road. Distracted driving can take many different forms and can be summed up as anything that takes your full attention from the roadway. Some of the most common distractions teenage drivers engage in include eating, talking on the phone, texting, or applying makeup. All of these actions produce an unsafe driving environment for others.
Alcohol and Its Role in Teen Driving Accidents
It’s an unfortunate fact that alcohol is often a major factor in teen driving accidents. Teens who drink and drive are much more likely to participate in other unsafe driving behaviors, like speeding and not wearing seatbelts. This only increases the chances of injury if an accident does occur. Crashes involving alcohol are often much more severe because the driver’s judgment is impaired. As a parent, it’s important to educate your child about the risks involved with alcohol, especially if they get behind the wheel.
Who is Liable in Teen Driving Accidents?
Accidents caused by young distracted drivers in Gaithersburg, MD are no different than other accidents involving negligent drivers. The driver is responsible for the poor decisions they make and as such can be held liable for any accidents they cause as well as any damage or injury they inflict. In the case of teen drivers, they can be legally responsible for the consequences of poor driving. If the teen driver has an established history of dangerous driving, liability may also rest with the parents/vehicle owner for allowing the dangerous teen to continue to drive on public roads.
Most often, those injured in teen driving accidents are other teens who were passengers in the vehicle. Even if the passengers entered the car voluntarily, the driver is still responsible for the poor decisions they make and the injury that results. Car crashes caused by teen drivers are usually severe. In addition to the minor scrapes, cuts, and bruises caused in most car accidents, brain injuries, severe burns, and spinal injuries. If the victim is a young adult, injuries of this magnitude can significantly impact their life and place a financial burden on the family as they struggle to pay medical expenses. If your teen was involved in a car accident caused by the carelessness of a young driver, or you have sustained injuries in a crash, Sussman & Simcox is here to help. We’ll represent you in court to ensure the driver is held responsible for their actions and you get the compensation you deserve to cover medical costs and other expenses.
Tips to Help Prevent Teen Driving Accidents
Though it’s not possible to prevent all instances of teen accidents, a good place to start is to educate the teens in your life properly. Talk to your teenager about taking the following steps to improve the safety of their driving habits:
- Always wear a seatbelt: Make sure your child is in the habit of always wearing their seat belt. It will keep them safe in the event an accident
- Get plenty of supervised driving time: Let your teenager know you’re always available to supervise as they practice driving. The more practice they get, the more ready they’ll be to hit the road solo.
- Limit number of passengers: Talk to your child about limiting the number of passengers in their vehicle. New drivers need to focus, and additional passengers can make that difficult. Teach teens it’s ok for them to set rules for their friends in the car to minimize their distractions.
- Don’t drive under the influence: Driving under the influence is an absolute no for any driver of any age. Make sure your teen knows if they have consumed alcohol or drugs they should never get behind the wheel.
- Be prepared for bad weather: This is an important one for Maryland drivers, as we see inclement weather every winter. Teach your child the best methods to navigate dangerous roads so when they encounter poor conditions alone, they’ll know what to do.
- Don’t use cell phones: Again, this should be a rule that every single driver follows. Cell phones should be reserved for emergency situations only on the road. Talk to your teenager about refraining from using their cell phone while driving, and teach them to put it away, possibly even in the glove box, to resist temptation.
Call Us to Discuss Your Case
If you or a loved one suffered injury in an accident caused by a careless driver, Sussman & Simcox is the team you want on your side. In the state of Maryland, drivers can be held legally liable for accidents and injuries caused by poor driving. But in order to get the compensation you deserve, you need to consult with a legal professional like Sussman and Simcox. Victims of car accidents in Maryland have limited chances to receive damages, especially if the court has any reason to believe you were in any way responsible for the injuries you sustained. For this reason, it’s essential for you to have a legal professional on your side. Call us today to discuss your case.
Experience On Your Side
- Hundreds of Cases Tried
- Free Confidential Consultations
- 40+ Years of Combined Experience
- Millions of Dollars in Settlements & Verdicts
- Serving Clients across the State of Maryland