If you’ve been injured in a car, public transportation, or construction accident or as the result of someone else’s negligence, you might be entitled to compensation for medical treatment, missed wages, damaged property, or even your pain and suffering. Consult the personal injury lawyers at Sussman & Simcox in Gaithersburg, MD to stand up for your legal rights. Our lawyers concentrating on car accidents, medical malpractice suits, and more have gathered the answers to some of our frequently asked questions about filing a personal injury claim. Should you not find the answer you seek below, please feel free to reach out to us directly at 301-840-0404 or toll-free at 844-389-6899.

Do I need a personal injury attorney for a car accident?

Retaining a personal injury attorney after a car accident is in your best interest to help you seek compensation for any injuries or damages. You may initiate the claims process yourself, but you’ll likely find it cumbersome and stressful. Our lawyers concentrating in car accidents are available to provide legal advice and to fight aggressively on your behalf. We have over 40 years of combined experience, and millions of dollars have been awarded in settlements and verdicts for our clients across the state of Maryland throughout the years.

The insurance company has promised to treat me fairly. Do I still need an attorney?

It’s essential to remember that your best interests and those of the insurance company are not quite the same. The insurance company usually wants to pay out as little as possible in personal injury claims and may not always provide the fairest compensation to you as a result. Hiring a personal injury attorney ensures you receive the most reasonable settlement possible given the circumstances.

The insurance companies are calling me to get a recorded statement. Do I have to give them one?

With a few exceptions, there is no requirement that you provide a recorded statement to the insurance company, even your own.  You should be advised that anything you say in a recorded statement may be used against you later in court. Once you retain Sussman & Simcox, we’ll notify the involved insurance companies to direct all further communications to our law firm to protect your rights.  If you must give a recorded statement, we can help you prepare to give a detailed, accurate account of what happened.

What damages am I entitled to recover?

This is variable based on your injury and the circumstances involved. You may be entitled to recover past and future lost wages, the costs of your medical treatment, and any damage to your vehicle if you were injured in a car accident. You may also recover general damages relating to your personal pain and suffering or any loss of enjoyment of life caused by your injury.

Is my case big enough for a lawyer?

There is no personal injury claim too small for our experienced law firm to handle. While we can’t change what happened to you, we can help you find justice and compensation, resulting in peace of mind for you and your family. Contact us today for a free case evaluation!

How long after I am injured do I have to file a lawsuit?

There are statutes of limitations for filing lawsuits related to personal injury claims that vary by state and jurisdiction. Most civil actions in the state of Maryland must be filed within three years, although some have a shorter one-year deadline. Our advice to you is to contact our personal injury attorneys in Gaithersburg immediately after your accident or injury to ensure everything is filed on time.

What should I bring with me to my meeting with an attorney?

We recommend bringing anything related to your accident or injury that may be relevant to your case. If you were involved in a car accident, this could be a copy of the police or incident report, as well as your medical records for treatment after the accident. If you have any photos of your injuries or property damages, these are also helpful. Any correspondence you’ve had with the insurance companies, hospitals, or auto repair facilities should also be included. Our staff will make photocopies of your documents and let you know if we require anything further.

How much will I have to pay Sussman & Simcox at the conclusion of my case?

At Sussman & Simcox, we work on what’s commonly called a contingency fee. We don’t receive any fees unless we’re able to obtain a verdict, award, or settlement on your behalf. We provide free consultations for clients throughout Montgomery County, including Rockville, Gaithersburg, Germantown, and other surrounding areas of Maryland.

I was injured through someone else’s carelessness. What should I do?

Being injured as the result of someone else’s carelessness is grounds for filing a personal injury claim. You should contact Sussman & Simcox’s personal injury lawyers to set up a free consultation to determine if you have a case. Be sure to gather any pertinent documents, photos, or witnesses.

What if I can’t prove someone’s negligence caused my injury? Is there any other basis for personal injury liability besides negligence?

Most injury claims arise from someone else’s negligence.  But certain other claims are possible under a theory of strict liability, including some dog bite cases and defective product cases.  If you can’t be certain that someone else was at fault, have an experienced attorney assess your case for you.

I injured my spine when I fell down slippery steps. Can you help?

Absolutely! Our attorneys have represented clients in many types of slip-and-fall accidents throughout the state of Maryland. Whether you fell down the stairs in a department store, hotel, convenience or grocery store, or at someone’s private residence, you may have a case. Property owners have a certain amount of responsibility to ensure the reasonable safety of people on their property.

I was hurt by taking a prescription drug. What should I do?

Unfortunately, pharmacy errors happen all the time. If you’ve been injured by taking a prescription drug, our attorneys will use our experience handling cases of this nature to help you obtain the compensation you need to recover. Be sure to keep all records relating to your case, including receipts, medical bills, the prescription packaging, and whatever is left of the drug itself, so that it can be analyzed.

My baby was born with a serious injury. Do I have a case?

If your baby’s injury was caused by negligence, you might have a case for medical malpractice. Please consult our law firm to speak with one of our experienced personal injury attorneys in Gaithersburg.

Who brings a claim on behalf of children who are hurt?

Most injury claims involving children are brought to the attention of a personal injury attorney by their parents or legal guardians. Please call Sussman & Simcox to discuss the details of your case today.

I don’t want to go to court. Can you still help me?

We have successfully represented countless clients whose cases have settled without going to court.  We’ll always do our best to reach a reasonable settlement on your behalf before filing a personal injury lawsuit. While many cases resolve early, we will often advise a client that a lawsuit is required because the other side is not taking responsibility or has made an unacceptably low offer.   But remember, even though a lawsuit is filed, there are often further opportunities to settle the case before a case actually goes to court.

How do you determine the value of my claim?

The value of your personal injury claim is based on the totality of the circumstances involved. You can rely on our 40+ years of combined experience to ensure you receive fair compensation for your injury.

Do I still have a claim if my health insurance paid my medical bills?

Yes.  Although benefit coordination can be complicated,  you’re typically entitled to the full value of your medical care and not just your co-pay or deductible. Please contact us today for a free, confidential consultation to explore how health care and other benefits operate in a personal injury claim.

Karen Sussman
Connect with me
Gaithersburg Personal Injury Attorney