Hospital Hallway

It’s not uncommon for a patient to suffer from medical errors at the hands of a doctor, only to later discover that the doctor has been previously singled out for medical malpractice. As a patient, it’s important to be your own advocate for your healthcare. You can reduce the likelihood of requiring the services of a medical malpractice attorney by investigating doctors and hospitals before scheduling your appointment. There are a number of ways in which you can research doctors and hospitals to find if they have been accused of medical malpractice.

Search the Federation of State Medical Boards (FSMB)

The FSMB was the first organization in the U.S. to compile and disseminate information regarding physicians who have been the subject of disciplinary action. You can visit the website of the FSMB and click on the link for “DocInfo” to obtain a report of your physician. The report is available electronically and by mail, both for a fee.

Contact the State Licensing Board

Another way to check whether your physician has been accused of medical malpractice or other wrongdoing is to contact your state’s licensing board. Often, state licensing boards provide searchable databases on their websites. Otherwise, you can contact the state licensing board to request this information.

Check the State Department of Health Services

In addition to investigating your physician, you may wish to check whether the hospital has a history of medical malpractice claims or other complaints. You can do so via the state’s department of health services. These departments often compile complaints regarding procedural errors, unsafe hospital conditions, improper care, and other violations.

Look for Court Records

Court records may be available if a doctor has been sued for medical malpractice. You may be able to find some information online on the court’s website or you may need to go to the courthouse to request a copy of records that are available to the public.

Have You Been a Victim of Medical Malpractice?

If you've been injured in a medical malpractice case, you need to speak with an experienced medical malpractice attorney as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call our Gaithersburg office directly at 301.840.0404 to schedule your free consultation.


Karen Sussman
Connect with me
Gaithersburg Personal Injury Attorney
Join The Conversation
tere 01/27/2022 04:49 AM
Thanks for the info““ :)
Post A Reply
Post A Comment